Community Guide (Dark-RP) How to RP As the Retro-Miner

Harvey Winestain

Buy-mod
Ex-Staff
Jun 25, 2018
Welcome to my first addon guide for the NCBA Dark-RP server. Let me preface by saying that I am by no means a retro-mining expert, so if you have anything to add, or know something I don't, please feel free to reply to this guide with any helpful additions/revisions you may have. I ask only that you provide these additions/revisions in a respectful and serious manner. With that being said, lets jump right in.

First and foremost, you'll obviously need to be playing as the retro-miner. Lets begin by taking a look at what the retro-miner is able to purchase:
  • Mining Entrance *
  • Rock Crusher
  • Gold/Iron/Bronze/Silver/Coal Refinery
  • Refiner crate
  • Gravel Crate *
  • Regular Conveyor belt
  • Small/Splitter/Left/Right Conveyor belt *
  • Insert belt
  • Melter
  • Storage Crate
Now it should be noted that not every one of these items is mandatory. While some of these items can be helpful for you, others can be confusing. For your convenience, I've marked the unnecessary items with a " * ".

The first thing you'll want to do is find one of these stone-looking nodes:
Ore_node.jpg

These nodes are critical, as you ought to place your mining setup nearby. They can be found in a few random spots around the map, but the highest concentration of these bad boys can be found in the "mining area", through the darkened tunnel next to the rear of spawn. There used to be several nodes immediately visible in the grass, but now they can only be found in this area through the mining tunnel entrance located in the mining area.

Now let's get into setting up your amazing mining operation. The first thing you'll wish to spawn in is your rock crusher. This is where you will put in the ores you mine (we'll get into that later). Next, you'll want to purchase and attach at least one regular conveyor belt. To attach the conveyor belt to the rock crusher, buy and right click on the conveyor belt with your gravity gun (NOT your physics gun) and drag+drop it onto the green dotted circle that should appear next to the rock crusher. The process is the same if you wish to add multiple conveyor belts together. Now, spawn in the gold, iron, copper, silver, and coal refineries, and attach them to each other (and the last conveyor belt you placed) using your gravity gun (Note: you technically don't "need" all of these refineries, especially if you can't afford them, but you essentially waste more resources with the fewer you have.). Next, spawn in at least one refiner crate (I recommend one for each refinery if you can afford it), and drag+drop it onto your refinery(s). This refinery crate will collect the processed ores, and will be needed to transport the processed ore to the final step of the process - the melter. The melter does not "attach" to your conveyor belts or refineries, and is instead a standalone device. It is powered by the coal that you mine and process, and is used to smelt your iron/copper/gold/silver ore into bars of metal. Here is a screenshot of a basic setup:
Basic_mining_setup.jpg

Now that you've set up your amazing mining operation, you're ready to begin mining and processing. The first step is to collect ore from those stone-looking nodes I spoke about earlier. As far as collection goes, you have two options. You can either use the pickaxe that the retro-miner spawns with, or, if you have the money, spawn in a mine entrance. Both are pretty simple to use, but the mine entrance is much faster. To use your pickaxe, just smack the heck out of the node until stuff pops out. To use the mine entrance, you just need to place it near the node and press e twice, once to set it up, and another time to "start" it. After a brief period of time, the mine will pop out a significant number of ores. If you feel so inclined, you can use a gravel crate to transport these ores to your processing setup, but it's not necessary. Next, drag your crate or ores onto the rock crusher. After a period of time, you'll see an animation of crushed up rocks travelling along the conveyor belt, towards your refineries. When the ore reaches its corresponding refineries, it will begin to be refined. After another period of time, the refinery crate attached to the refinery will begin to fill. When you feel you have a good amount of processed ore in a refiner crate, press "e" to detach it, pick it up with your gravity gun, and drag it towards your melter. Now once again, remember that your melter must be powered with coal before it will smelt any metals you put in there, so you need to add coal before it will do anything. Once enough coal and a certain amount of ore is added, the melter will smelt a "batch" of ore and out will pop a fair number of metal bars. Finally, drag the ore onto the storage crate, and press "e" on the storage crate once it's been filled. You do not need to wait until the storage crate has been filled, but it's more economically efficient if you do. Once you've done that, the last thing you need to do is find an npc that buys metal. One is located conveniently in the mining area, and another is located near the majority of other npc's at the fountain.

Alright! If you understood everything outlined above, you should now have a decent understanding of how to play the retro-miner. If you have any questions not outlined in the following FAQ, feel free to pop a question in the reply section, and I'll answer it as soon as I can!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FAQ
Q: Why are there multiple types of conveyor belts?
A: While only one conveyor belt is necessary, the different types allow for increased customization of your setup, particularly if you're short on room

Q: What does the inserter belt do?
A: It's actually pretty darn convenient. Pop that bad boy down at the end of your operation and it will expend all of the unnecessary things that might otherwise back up your refining setup.

Q: How can I maximize profit?
A: Only purchase the coal and gold refiners, and use your pickaxe instead of the mine entrance. Refine only your gold and coal and you will earn more money, more quickly.

Gmod_miner.jpg

Last edited:

TheXanMan

XXXanMan
May 14, 2018
Phoenix, Az
Note that there was a bug that sometimes it would stop mining because all of the refineries got backed up from unprocessed materials and therefore it just built up and stopped working. To fix this, what I have done before is put extra conveyors on the back to catch the unused materials and act as a sort of storage place to redo the process over again.

Harvey Winestain

Buy-mod
Ex-Staff
Jun 25, 2018
Note that there was a bug that sometimes it would stop mining because all of the refineries got backed up from unprocessed materials and therefore it just built up and stopped working. To fix this, what I have done before is put extra conveyors on the back to catch the unused materials and act as a sort of storage place to redo the process over again.
Thanks! I've updated the third FAQ answer based on your reply.

Chef Homo

Baker Homosexual
Ex-Staff
Feb 16, 2018
Northeast Texas, United States
Cool guide.
I've thought about making a guide before for mining but I've honestly been too lazy lmao.
I'll be sure to link confused miners to this page.

Harvey Winestain

Buy-mod
Ex-Staff
Jun 25, 2018
Cool guide.
I've thought about making a guide before for mining but I've honestly been too lazy lmao.
I'll be sure to link confused miners to this page.
Thanks! I appreciate it.

Gurgl

Warning: I do not give a shit. Call me Senpai pls.
Dec 10, 2017
My dick is rock hard, does that mean it can also be mined?

Harvey Winestain

Buy-mod
Ex-Staff
Jun 25, 2018
My dick is rock hard, does that mean it can also be mined?
It's entirely possible, the only issue being that it's lack of significant size would result in very little, if any, usable ore.