Community Guide BECOMING STAFF

HalfDayGames

What a Spammer! Fifty messages!
Dec 13, 2017
Louisiana
www.twitch.tv
Enjoy playing on the server? Think you can help make a difference? Want to learn how to make that possible?
This is an in-depth guide on how to do so.

THE THOUGHT OCCURS:
So, you've sprung the thought of wanting to become staff?
That's not so bad, but do you know what it entails?
Think of being staff as babysitting that annoying younger sibling or child you care for but despise.
Not discouraged?
GREAT! Let us look at what it takes to become staff!

THE MINDSET:
It takes someone with a particular mindset to want to be staff, and maintain the rank.
So if you're looking at this I am going to assume, you have the need to help others!
You have a desire to stand out, and give help where it is needed. Sound familiar?
Someone who is looking to be staff is a generous person, not in the ideology of money,
but in character. They are willing to give their time to help towards a cause or a common goal.
As well as having a helping attitude, willing to aid all players in dire situations, you need to have a calm and unbiased mindset towards everything and everyone. When dealing with stressful situations, having a calm state of mind will help immensely, if you continue to be calm the players you are dealing with will also be influenced by your attitude and be more tranquil. If you are dealing with a sit or a problem, being unbiased is a KEY point of being staff, you should be fair and impartial, you can´t have a preference for a player from another player, it doesn´t matter if he´s your friend, trusted player or even a member of the staff team (yes, this can happen).
So, if you're not in this mindset then, being staff might not be for you, however, if this fits your
persona then let's go forth!

NOTORIETY:
Not speaking of being a criminal but quite the opposite, here on NCBA we have somewhat of a
democracy, staff aren't chosen by just one person. Assigned by one person, but not chosen. We have a voting
system here. The top-ranking members of the staff, look at these vote ratings to determine their final decision.
Meaning you need to be well known in the community, and not with a negative image. People on the server, need to know you and be
comfortable with you. This is because you will be dealing with these players in a more secure manner if accepted. You also
need to have a good impression on the staff team as well. Being noted for helping where you can, given limited "powers."
This brings me to the next subject which you need to have to gain notoriety.

Time:
So you just joined the server? You see someone flying around, dragging players here and there. Seeming to help with everything!
You get the thought "Man I want to do that!" so you ask how you can do so. You're given a link to apply for staff. But wait, you don't know anyone?
Nor do they know you. This is what time is for. Give yourself some. You need to play on the server for at least a couple days before even giving staff
a thought. This is so that you can acclimate to the way structure flows on the server. From players to staff. You need to build both a rapport with the players
and the staff! This will help the overall outcome of your application. Time on the server can be a main deciding factor on your application. You wouldn't
allow a stranger to go through your personal belongings in your house if it was there first time being there or even within the first day being there.
It's just not right! So consider this when applying!

THE DETAIL IN REALITY:
Far too many times have I seen applications for staff be declined over detail.
Do this, get off your butt and go look outside, write down everything you see.
I mean everything to the color of the trees, the smells you smell, and the rustling of the limbs in the breeze.
These are details of the situation. Much like giving those details you need to be in-depth about
your descriptions in response to the questions on the applications. Use the 3 "W" method. "When, Where, Why?"
Using this method in most of the questions will help give you a detailed parameter to follow.
Also don't forget to add filler statements, that are on topic, and not just there because you want acceptance.
We know the difference. Use this guide as a cornerstone of your ideology on detail, I am giving as much
detail as I can, to help you, yes you, understand how to apply this guide to achieve your goal!

HONESTY:
Not to be cliche but honestly, just be honest. We could care less if you have wet dreams, but don't lie about it.
If you have faults own up to them completely. You're not perfect nor are we. There is nothing better than
someone who accepts the truth for what it is. Which means they are willing to give the truth no matter its consequences.
This is also another major factor in the acceptance of an application. Anytime you're asked about something,
just give the truth, there is no harm in it. By doing so, you save yourself some heat that may come your way.

2+2=4:
I used that because it is a common sense equation.
Meaning what I am about to say should be common sense.
If you cannot spell if you cannot form a structured complete sentence.
Give valid reasoning in statements, and pose some form of intelligence.
Then what makes you think you are ready for a staff position.
You have to be able to articulate "speak" properly and get your point across.
As well as with typing, because you're expected to be active on the forums.

"
aklsjfhak;lsdjfhklasdjfhaklsdjfhalskdjfhaspoghifg" is the perfect example we see
most of the time. Please use proper grammar when you type or speak to someone
on the server. It only helps you look more professional when trying to get a point across.
Type whatever you're trying to type, and before you submit it, overlook it, and see if there are
any errors. If that doesn't help then use the chrome extension "Grammarly" it works wonders.

THE FINALE:
Giving everything in this guide there should be no excuse for error in an application if you used this guide.
It is the most appropriate source of information that you could use with the exception of "body" being
the number of words in your application, however, following this guide should land you in a safe range
for the body of your application. The best advice I can give is be yourself, and be professional.
This may not be a "real job" but it should be treated as a job none-the-less. It can help for experience
for something you may be interested in the future. Just keep an open mind, and respect the hierarchy of
the staff "chain of command." And you should be just fine!

Given all of this if you're still interested in being staff, then I say give it a shot. Why not?
I mean the worst that can happen is you get declined, probably because you didn't follow the guide.
But if you get accepted after reading this please comment on it, and let me know if I helped you!

UPDATED : Rakoons Segment suggestions! - Thank you!

Last edited:

Slav Master

Janice From HR
Human Resources
Dec 31, 2017
Canada, Ontario
HONESTY:
Not to be cliche but honestly, just be honest. We could care less if you have wet dreams, but don't lie about it.

I love the post, it is very well spoken! But.... I am dying right now over the honesty introduction LMAO!

ItZ_Rakoon

The K00N
Dec 4, 2017
Buenos Aires - Argentina
As well as having a helping attitude, willing to aid all players in dire situations, you need to have a calm and unbiased mindset towards everything and everyone. When dealing with stressful situations, having a calm state of mind will help immensely, if you continue to be calm the players you are dealing with will also be influenced by your attitude and be more tranquil. If you are dealing with a sit or a problem, being unbiased is a KEY point of being staff, you should be fair and impartial, you can´t have a preference between a player from another player, it doesn´t matter if he´s your friend, trusted player or even a member of the staff team (yes, this can happen).

I would add this to the "Mindset" section for further in-depth information on becoming staff.

- Rakoon

Reactions: HalfDayGames

OneLonelyDog

Not a furry
Community Manager
Forums Manager
Dec 3, 2017
Good stuff! Maybe VICTIM and Pug should use your help to make an improved staff guide when they plan to improve it one of these days. ;)

Slav Master

Janice From HR
Human Resources
Dec 31, 2017
Canada, Ontario
Good stuff! Maybe VICTIM and Pug should use your help to make an improved staff guide when they plan to improve it one of these days. ;)
I completely agree with @OneLonelyDog . This is really good stuff! Thank you bunches for taking your time to create this very informative and helpful guide, I am sure many will benefit from this!

Reactions: HalfDayGames

Nexo

Uncle Papa
Ex-Staff
Dec 30, 2017
Illinois
I wish you made this before I made my application. XD

BOTJay

Normie
Jan 21, 2018
If anyone wants to message me bits and pieces (or the entire thing) of their application either here or over skype: SkillAuraPvP123 (I know, old skype from when I was a child) I'll be glad to suggest some things and fix your grammar!

HalfDayGames

Dec 13, 2017
Louisiana
www.twitch.tv
As well as having a helping attitude, willing to aid all players in dire situations, you need to have a calm and unbiased mindset towards everything and everyone. When dealing with stressful situations, having a calm state of mind will help immensely, if you continue to be calm the players you are dealing with will also be influenced by your attitude and be more tranquil. If you are dealing with a sit or a problem, being unbiased is a KEY point of being staff, you should be fair and impartial, you can´t have a preference between a player from another player, it doesn´t matter if he´s your friend, trusted player or even a member of the staff team (yes, this can happen).

I would add this to the "Mindset" section for further in-depth information on becoming staff.

- Rakoon
Thank you so much for your input, I have added and updated the guide! Once again thanks for the interest and help!

HalfDayGames

Dec 13, 2017
Louisiana
www.twitch.tv
I want to thank everyone else for your positive inputs, it really helps with wanting to push out more content whether it be guides, or general ideas, and changes that could be looked into or considered!

HalfDayGames

Dec 13, 2017
Louisiana
www.twitch.tv
Thanks for taking time to attempt to help improve our staff applications section with this guide, although I think we will be just fine where the staff guide comes into place.
(Referencing Lonely's Statement)

Nah, I firmly believe you guys have things under control, this is for those who don't understand the pretense of staff. To help them better get an idea, on
what they need to have in their minds and a general idea of how to put together an application.

DeliriousGam3r

Common Visitor
Jan 26, 2018
Thank you for making this, it helped me a lot on my most recent staff app and learned a lot from it.